Saturday, November 06, 2010

The Reader's Medicine Cabinet




Some people derive great joy from peeking into other people's medicine cabinets, the contents of which--either in their abundance or absence--seem to reveal so much about their owners. We, however, are much more inclined to peep a home's bookshelves since it is there that we learn about our hosts' hopes, fears and true political affinities (among other things). We're not sure what stories our library might divulge about us, but we imagine the words 'aging,' 'hipster' and 'pinko' must drive most of the plot lines.



6 comments:

Wildfell Hall Vintage said...

I think the only one I share with you is Please Kill Me, which sits on my shelf next to Motley Crue The Dirt and Nikki Sixx Heroin Diaries. You'd never know that I have an English degree! Little envious of all your lovely art books there....

MAB from OtterCatHaus said...

We share some books, you and I. Lipstick Traces is one of my favorite books of all time! I used to buy it for gifts for people back in the old days. . .

Kori said...

I have to agree with you! I love my books and people would probably think I'm some type of serial killer by what I read lol! Kori xoxo

ina said...

I always check out people's bookshelves when visiting someone. It's so interesting, telling so much about people. My own bookshelf is full of classics and books on history ('cause I'm an historian). Perhaps boring to some people, but interesting to me :)

Alicia said...

I love peeking into other people's bookshelves; in fact, I might do my own version of this post on my blog! Thanks for the glimpse into yours.

LLB said...

Speaking from a not-much-younger hipster generation, me and Mike B like looking through people's DVD selves as opposed to book selves. If folks were to do that to our house, they'd probably think we are zombie-obsessed art house posers. We could care less.

When I was in undergrad, I spent a semester studying and writing about Theodor Adorno's culture industry theory. I use that knowledge to convince myself I'm better than others.

I like kitchen cabinets and pantries, too, because I like to know if people cook at home and eat together or go to restaurants, and if they eat crap, healthy, or diversely.